Our school has a lot to offer and we aim to provide an environment which maximises the educational opportunities and outcomes for all students.
Establishment of a State Primary School in the developing suburb of East Ayr can be attributed solely to the efforts of Mr CG McCathie. As early as 1949, Colin McCathie MLA in Ayr in State Parliament, anticipated the need for a second primary school. He was determined that a site for such a school should be reserved before all available, suitable land was taken over by private enterprise for housing and industrial development. To back his opinion he had a census taken in 1949 to ascertain the number of children who would be likely to attend the school. A second census taken in 1950 corroborated his beliefs when it was revealed that some 98 children would become pupils at the proposed school.
Immediate steps were taken by Mr McCathie to procure the area in Ross Street, East Ayr, known locally as Tom Menso's 'Pineapple Plantation'. The site comprised an area of approximately 18 acres.
Towards the end of 1951 Col McCathie's dreams had become a reality. In November of that year, the Department of Public Works commenced the erection of the first section of the East Ayr State Primary School. Unfortunately December 1951 and January 1952 were very wet months and building operations were seriously impeded.
First school day
The school, despite the fact that the building was very incomplete, opened to enrol its first students on Monday, February 4th, 1952. Enrolments on that first day totalled 137 children. Three weeks later the enrolment was 166 pupils.
The first staff comprised, Mr J J Short, Head Teacher; Mr M Bachelor; Mrs L Connell and Miss Margaret O'Kane. Miss O'Kane was transferred to Ingham a few months later and Mrs J Jackson replaced her on the staff.